"Let the wife make the husband glad to come home,
and let him make her sorry to see him leave."

Pages

As I lay in bed last night, several funny 'misreads' or 'mispronunciations' blasted through my memory with hilarious force. I can't help but share them :).

Ruby and I used to read aloud to each other, and it was during such times that our little slips of word comprehension sent us into fits of laughter.

From The Dragon and the Raven by G.A. Henty:

Word "wholly" - read as: "...the regiment was wooly undisciplined."

Word "peasants" - read as: "...they were attacked by the pheasants."

"A whole ship, consisting of 140 fleets..."

From Loamhedge by Brian Jaques:

Word "bowls" - read as: "...they licked their bowels clean."

Ruby has a Pittsburgian speech impediment, making it difficult to to say names/words such as 'Taylor', 'Stuart', and 'bagel' correctly. Instead, they are 'Tallor', 'Stort', and 'baggle'.

I can't imagine who hasn't had trouble trouble with the word 'rendezvous'... saying it phonetically would be plain natural :).

HOWEVER. 'ReasonABLEness' won't fly...

For the unlabeled ones, I leave it up to you to decide who said what *wink*.

2 Comment(s):

Hannen said...

So, I stumbled upon your blog via Clayton's. And was just skimming and then I found this one which I truly enjoy, mainly for the last bit. The part about Ruby's Pittsburgian speech impediment. I can say Taylor, and Stuart, but I say bagel like baggle unless I really focus on what I'm saying. My friends pick on me for it all the time. =)

-Rebecca

Clarke Family said...

All of them were ruby's fault.