"Let the wife make the husband glad to come home,
and let him make her sorry to see him leave."

Pages

Ever since I was little, I've loved running my own house... whether it was make-believe with my doll collection, or taking over when mother is gone. I have done all this with the sincere hope that I will one day get married and raise a family with the husband the Lord has given to me. To me, this is the highest possible calling a woman can have, and there is no greater desire in my heart! However, I have to wait... and now it's alot less time than I had to imagine when I was 6, 11, or even last year. I've gone through various times of waiting, bearing each at different levels of impatience, but it is now my favorite idea. I know it sounds absurd, but let me show you why:

Webster's 1828 Dictionary defines the word
'wait' thus:

"To rest in expectation and patience."

Hmmm... it's not saying that to wait could be bliss is it?? Why, I think that is exactly what it means. When one waits for something, the focus should not be selfish, only concerned with the here, now, and the deprivation he/she is undergoing, but to look ahead to what lies in store, to rest in hope that one day, the desire will be fulfilled, or the blessing received. In particular, marriage. The key to how the 'wait' is borne lies in where the focus is.

This is
exactly like the bride of Christ waiting for her sweet communion with her Lord. What do you think would happen to us, as Christians, if we focused on the here and now?? For me, there are a million reasons why I would be in utter and complete despair, simply because I see where I am now, and I wouldn't be trusting in what God has in store for me... even next. Simply trusting that He will carry you safely through takes an eternal focus. It is only by His grace that we can look to what lies ahead. It is a difficult life, that of a true believer in Christ... it is full of hardships and trials.

"Though with a scornful wonder
men see her sore oppressed,
by schisms rent asunder,
by heresies distressed;"

Yet He gives us grace to make it through. Imagine... the final communion would not be so sweet were not these trials sent to sanctify us beforehand... they show us how undeserving we truly are, and how completely helpless we are without, and dependent we are for salvation on, Christ, our Saviour.

"from heaven he came and sought her
to be his holy bride;
with his own blood he bought her,
and for her life he died."

To truly wait, is to rest in the sweet comfort and protection that God is in control – and that His timing is absolutely perfect, flawless– that He knows what is best for us. Too often we question His authority when we don't get what we want, when we want it. Why?? Such ludicrousness. And it is only when we see the disaster we were saved from that we realize that He does know best (and we know less than nothing about it), but we forget again all too quickly. Is our faith really so small??

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life."

Our hope should be in Christ, our focus, eternal rest.

"one holy Name she blesses,
partakes one holy food,
and to one hope she presses,
with every grace endued."

Expectant patience. That's what it is. The trials make the fulfillment all the sweeter.

"Mid toil and tribulation,
and tumult of her war
she waits the consummation
of peace for evermore;
till with the vision glorious
her longing eyes are blessed,
and the great Church victorious
shall be the Church at rest.

Yet she on earth hath union
with God, the Three in one,
and mystic sweet communion
with those whose rest is won.
O happy ones and holy!
Lord, give us grace that we
like them, the meek and lowly,
on high may dwell with thee."

2 Comment(s):

Ashlee said...

Love it Darling! Beautiful thoughts, and a you expressed so perfectly the simplicity of joyful anticipatience. :-)

Ashlee said...

OK, so I was thinking of this again this morning, and I just wanted to restate how very much it encouraged me. :D